Monday, June 21, 2010

I Think I Can, I Think I Can ... I DID!!

Today, such a small defeat seemed like the biggest accomplishment in my life.

I managed to finish my first quarter in college, three years after graduating from high school. I've never been one to be good with tests. I sit down and freeze up, or I just can't find the motivation to study or feel like I can't grasp the information.

I've been doing pretty good so far with my quizzes and midterms. I succeeded with my first finals, and today was the one I was dreading. I spent all day yesterday studying off and on. By the end of the night, I felt no more prepared than I did when I first started studying. I went to sleep and hoped and prayed for the best.

Like usual, I showed up early, and just reread through my notes, took a few deep breaths, had a little bit of small talk with my classmates, and told myself I can do this.

I finished the test in 45 minutes, but had to stay for the remainding 2 hours and 15 minutes. I made my way to the kitchen and looked over my notes to look up some of the things I was unsure of. I made a few stupid mistakes, but it's ok.

Slowly more classmates came into the kitchen and we laughed and talked, and thought about how exciting it is that we get a 3 week break. We were keeping busy until our teacher was done grading our tests. It seemed like the clock wouldn't move fast enough.

Finally the time came. I wanted to see my score so bad, but at the same time was so nervous. First she tells me my final grade in the class, 95.4%!! Woo-hoo!! But I still wanted to know how I did on my test, a 94.5%!! I'm so proud of myself! I know I still have 3 quarters left, but after doing so well this first quarter, I'm seeing the faith in myself that I can get through this.

I have had an immense support system throughout this first quarter, and I strongly believe that they will continue to be by my side through the rest of my journey.

My husband has been amazing. Cheering me on while I'm studying and telling me that I will pass no matter how many times I doubt myself. Helping around the house so I can get my studying done. And just being the wonderful man he is.

My family continues to support me. They know how much I want out of my current work situation and are extremely proud of how much effort I'm putting forth into my school work. I don't know where I'd be without them.

My friends, from the ones who I've come to know over the past few years and the ones that I haven't had the pleasure of meeting in person. The littlest things can help no matter how they are given. A short message telling you good luck, a quick pep talk saying I know this and can pass, a congratulations and I'm proud of you after passing a test, or maybe a high five when you don't really know what to say.

I thank all of you for all of your love and support through this first quarter. Three more to go, and hopefully at the end of this journey you will all be there to see me finish!

1 comment: